Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron Online
**WE ARE ON DISCORD! :) JOIN US AT http://swes.cf **
Welcome to Battlefrontdice.com Please register to this site and make a introduction about yourself in the introductions section.

Please ensure you read the rules before posting:
www.battlefrontdice.com/t2455-site-rules
www.battlefrontdice.com/t2648-site-usage-tips-recommended-to-read#50233

If you need support, please email battlefrontdice@gmail.com

Enjoy your stay!
**WE ARE ON DISCORD! :) JOIN US AT http://swes.cf **
Welcome to Battlefrontdice.com Please register to this site and make a introduction about yourself in the introductions section.

Please ensure you read the rules before posting:
www.battlefrontdice.com/t2455-site-rules
www.battlefrontdice.com/t2648-site-usage-tips-recommended-to-read#50233

If you need support, please email battlefrontdice@gmail.com

Enjoy your stay!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welcome to the best community for Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron! Enjoy your stay!

HomeLatest imagesGalleryRegisterLog in
Welcome to battlefrontdice.com! the best community around for DICE's Star Wars Battlefront!
Latest topics
» SWES Is Coming Back Online!
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Oct 27, 2022 5:07 pm by asdfg123786

» Anyone remember when we were using join.muf.mobi?
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeFri Jan 08, 2021 10:21 am by [HACK]LeaderDanDino

» help get SWBES online again
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Jan 07, 2021 12:00 pm by [HACK]LeaderDanDino

» Ark Survival Evolved
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Dec 23, 2020 4:09 pm by [HACK]LeaderDanDino

» Well this is nostalgic
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Jul 22, 2019 8:19 pm by [SWRS]InsectoidJyn

» DayZ on Ps4
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2019 1:58 pm by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» PPSSPP android games
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeSun Mar 10, 2019 12:19 pm by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» My PSP GO switches on!
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Feb 04, 2019 5:29 pm by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» Hey guys
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Jul 24, 2018 12:33 am by toomanybulletss

» 6 Year anniversary!
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 pm by The Godzilla King

» Star Wars Battlefront III - Now playable on PC through Xenia emulator
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:45 pm by The Godzilla King

» Hey Guys... I'm back again
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Jun 28, 2018 10:42 pm by The Godzilla King

» PUBG Mobile (let's get this clan active again)
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2018 10:12 am by nullbyte

» Discord Server
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Nov 29, 2017 7:04 am by Sinkid

» 5 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!!!!!
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 1:57 pm by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» EA now has the most downvoted comment in Reddit history
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeThu Nov 23, 2017 1:52 pm by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» Hey guys I'm back
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 pm by Anubis

» BFII has been updated on Steam!
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 11:32 am by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» Let's Get Together And Play Some Elite Squadron (on August 25th)
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Nov 08, 2017 11:30 am by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

» Star Wars Battlefront II - Open Beta
RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 am by [SWES]LeaderDanDino.

Places to find us
Send us an email

Find Us On Facebook!

Find Us On Twitter!

RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Anubis
Anubis

Male Join date : 2013-07-27
Star Points : 5385

RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Empty
PostSubject: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 5:15 pm

Over the past few days, as I tinkered with my laptops doing odd and new things with them, I discovered a program that allows you to use your RAM as a virtual hard disk.

At first, this idea seems silly for those who do not have much RAM on their single machine... I was at first amazed at the new things I could do, but I soon figured out that 4GB of RAM wasn't really enough for a normal RAM disk, I could only spare around 1GB for use.

Let's first take a step back, why the hell use RAM as a disk?
Simple, RAM is the fastest type of memory on the planet, using it as a virtual disk would completely destroy any other type of storage medium, including SSD's.....

With a single SSD, you could get around 500MB read and write, really expensive SSD's can give you about 1000MB R/W.
With a RAM disk, the read/write easily surpasses 1GB/PS and for the most part, passes 2GB/PS R/W. Using this as a disk would allow you to load programs instantly.

So, if this type of storage is so great, then why isn't it used? Two reasons.
1. RAM does not hold memory when the power is cut.
2. RAM is very expensive in large amounts.

So, here is my revelation.
I know how to network computers together over direct ethernet connections, and I know how to share files between the two... See where this is going?
With a network of machines running RAM disks, you could in theory, do some pretty amazing sh*t.

The first and most logical thing you could do is have a network of slave computers with gigabit connections to your own PC.
You could change the settings of your page file to be stored on multiple RAM disks on the network, making your computer much faster when you open many programs. Instead of your PC reaching into that slow ass hard drive for files and things that need to be in memory, your computer reaches into a RAM disk over the network and instantly loads the files into RAM.

In a way, this could give you more RAM, but not exactly. It will still be slower than just upgrading the RAM, but not THAT much slower. I'm guessing that it would be slightly laggy, but still usefull if you want 3000 programs running at the same time.

I'm probably going to test this idea very soon, if not right after publishing this thread. The idea of virtually extending my 4GB of RAM to around 6GB is a very nice idea indeed.

Anybody else ever tried or thought about this? Or did you guys never know that you could do this?

Last edited by Anubis on Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

Male Join date : 2013-10-03
Star Points : 26809

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 5:56 pm

Correct "does hold hold" to "does not hol". Other than that, yeah.

I never tried, tbh it is not worth it for me, I don't really need the speed.
Back to top Go down
Anubis
Anubis

Male Join date : 2013-07-27
Star Points : 5385

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 6:06 pm

Fixed.
Also, my idea just got smashed. My other laptop only has 100 megabit ethernet, while my MacBook has gigabit ethernet.... I only get 11.25MB/PS over the link, when the memory it's self is 866MB/PS (It's that slow because that's DDR2 memory)

This is a damn shame, because I could really use that speed... Welp, in the future I can do this. :P
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeMon Mar 16, 2015 6:53 pm

That is a shame indeed.
Back to top Go down
thedarkknight
Leader
Leader
thedarkknight

Male Join date : 2012-05-11
Star Points : 212049

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:55 pm

Nice idea. It's a bit like people who have both SSD and Hard disk and save stuff to SSD, where it gets transferred to hard disk in background.

My computing teacher goes for something like that.
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

Male Join date : 2013-11-13
Star Points : 4107

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 3:42 pm

the newer macbooks have ssd's which is why their so thin right?
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:11 pm

Does it have anything to do with SSD's ? I know many thin computers with HDDs. SDDs have higher speeds, but usually a much higher $/GB ratio, being much more expensive.
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 8:41 pm

partly why macbooks are so expensive :P
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 7:26 am

There are many less expensive computer which also use SSDs...
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 10:31 am

I was given my macbook for free, so I really don't care xD
Back to top Go down
[HACK]LeaderDanDino
Leader
Leader
[HACK]LeaderDanDino

Male Join date : 2012-05-11
Star Points : 2147488020

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 10:43 am

wow lucky, mine cost me alot at the time
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

My uncle got my mother the macbook I am using right now for a lower price than it normally did, at the time but later my grandfather gave her his macbook pro so he handed down the simpler macbook to me for free :D

Everyone hates apple so much since their products are overpriced, which is true, but it does not mean the products themselves are bad, I love my macbook :D

Price is the only problem with Apple which I hate the company for but the design of their products are mostly awesome :D

One of the only products that makes me hate apple now is this >:|
https://xfgn.forumotion.com/t3749-apple-watch#69640
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 10:58 am

I never said Macbooks had bad designs. But they're so overpriced and overrated.
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:12 am

pretty much, but I have dealt with people that absolutely hate anything to do with Apple since they can't buy any of the products and don't realize the products themselves are actually not bad and look good but aren't probably worth getting for their price :P
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:15 am

I don't think that. I hate Apple for it is overpriced and overrated.
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:19 am

that's their downfall :/
I used to like Apple
Back to top Go down
[SWES]gnmmarechal
Administrator
Administrator
[SWES]gnmmarechal

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:24 am

the iPod was nice. I like it until the iPod Touch came out - I hated it.
Back to top Go down
oscar1710
Programmer
Programmer
oscar1710

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2015 11:28 am

lol I love my iPod touch 2nd Gen and my iPod touch 4th Gen since they were both gifts to me xD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For   RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RAM Disks And What They Can Be Used For
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Star Wars Battlefront Elite Squadron Online :: General Forums :: General Chat-
Jump to: